Cinematography: Introduction to Self-Shooting
‘Self-shooter’ is the term used for filmmakers that create their own video content. It is increasingly becoming an essential part of the job description for a majority of roles within media sector, including:
- Live events
- Interview shoots
- Music videos
- Corporate promos
- Social Media content
- Short Documentaries
During this course you will benefit from detailed, technical insight into DSLR filmmaking, demonstrating why shooting on DSLR is such an effective choice for those who are working on a budget but don't want to sacrifice anything when it comes to creating a professional quality image.
You will be given a practical demonstration on how to set up camera, use lenses, lighting and sound recording. You will explore the common problems you should expect to encounter on a shoot and how to approach dealing with them. Additionally you will receive professional advice on how to enhance your CV and maximise your show-reel through DSLR driven projects.
Course delivery update: Based on advice and guidance set out by the UK government, World Health Organisation, British Film Institute, PACT and The Production Guild, we are now resuming our face-to-face courses from 17 July 2020 and have outlined new safety and hygiene measures below that we will follow in each practical lesson.
During this face-to-face course we will be taking the following safety measures:
- Our fully trained staff will help students follow preventative measures and advise on the health and wellbeing of all participants.
- Rigorous and regular cleaning measures to ensure equipment, spaces and touch points are sanitised to prevent hand–to–hand transmission.
- Reduced class sizes and capacity for spaces to facilitate safe, social distancing measures and movement through the building.
- Staggered class start times to avoid interaction with other groups during break periods and at the end of class.
- Dedicated lunch spaces.
- Additional anti-transmission measures including protective screens and PPE for relevant in-person activities and workshops.
- Enhanced hygiene measures including increased provision of sanitisers, alcohol cleaners, tissues and regular breaks for washing hands.
- Strict entry and exit procedures to identify and prevent infection risks from outside sources.
- A separate dedicated room for any person who feels unwell and a clear procedure for helping them.
Duration: 1 day, weekend
Hours: 10:00 – 17:00
To become a professional self-shooter, you need to understand how to make your content dynamic, creative and compelling. Not only will our self-shooters package provide introductory hands-on practical training for a DSLR camera, it will also provide you with the knowledge to carefully plan and light your subjects and create footage that will stand out above the competition.
- Technical training into the functions of DSLR cameras, lighting, white balance and sound recording.
- Shoot preparation: planning ahead to make sure you capture the footage you need ahead of the edit.
- Discover how to achieve professional quality results whilst working on a budget.
- Using practical case studies, students will be given advice on how to problem solve in a variety of common scenarios that can emerge during a shoot.
- Receive invaluable advice on how to develop an effective showreel and make your CV stand out.
- All applicants must be fluent in English: English Language Level: Upper Intermediate
- Minimum age 18
For in depth Visa information please visit our Visa page.
There are currently no course dates set for this course.