Do you want to pursue a career as a director of photography, or would you like to learn more about the cinematography and camera department? Our Cinematography Certificate will provide a comprehensive introduction to shooting and lighting for film. Guided by experienced filmmaking professionals, this intense 5 day course will introduce the concepts of lighting, camera operation, framing, colour correction and grading.
This course will be taught using the state of the art, Arri Alexa HD camera.
This practical, in-depth training will give you the opportunity to serve as DOP, camera operator, focus puller and clapper loader on a series of short films in an industry setting, offering hands-on insights into the world of cinematography.
Our Cinematography Certificate is the ideal course for filmmakers keen to build their knowledge and experience of working in the camera department. By developing an understanding of all of the key roles on set, students will complete the course with an enhanced perspective of the filmmaking process. Accordingly, this course would also benefit aspiring directors and filmmakers who have not yet worked in the camera department. Guided by experienced camera and lighting professionals, this practical and in-depth course provides training in various aspects of cinematography including lighting, camera operation, focus, field of depth, lens manipulation, DIT, colour correction and grading. All students will have the opportunity to practise the roles of the camera department on a short film in a studio environment using a high-end HD camera. Participants will also be introduced to grading and colour correction ahead of a screening in our state-of-the-art cinema.
Targeted exercises ensure you:
- Establish an understanding of shot choices, visual storytelling and effectively interpreting the script
- Build an understanding of operating camera effectively
- Enhance your communication skills, allowing you to draw the best from your crew and directors
- Learn to shoot and grade a short film, working with a full crew and professional actors in an industry standard environment
Supporting the safety of our students
At London Film Academy, students are at the heart of everything we do and our priority is first and foremost the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and tutors.
This course takes place in person at LFA, 52a Walham Grove, London SW6
Learn professional techniques to improve your performance as a director of photography, looking at colour temperature, hard and soft light, framing, ratios and operation of the Arri Alexa
- Improve your collaborative skills, allowing you to communicate more effectively with fellow crew members
- Practice all roles within the camera department in an on-set environment and earn credits in each role
- Develop a better understanding of camera operation using Arri Alexa
- All applicants must be fluent in English: English Language Level: Upper Intermediate
- Minimum age 18
For in depth Visa information please visit our Visa page.