Our Directing Certificate will illuminate the director’s role and enable you to build the necessary skills to direct a film. Guided by experienced filmmaking professionals, this intense 4-day course, spread across 5 days*, will introduce the concepts of visual storytelling, analyse your approach with actors and enhance your communication skills, allowing you to express your creativity in the most effective way. The workshops culminate in the opportunity to direct a short film project in an industry-standard setting, with professional actors. This in-depth intensive training provides an informative, hands-on, introduction to the world of directing films.
*The course will include two shooting days and you will only be required for one of them.
Guided by experienced filmmaking professionals, this practical in-depth course provides training in various aspects of directing including visual storytelling, storyboarding, communicating ideas and scripts to actors and crew, working with actors and enhancing their performance, and preparing for a shoot. You will direct a short film in a studio environment using a high-end HD camera (Arri Alexa), with a full camera crew and professional actors. Learn how directors can work with editors and have the opportunity to have your film screened at the end of the course in our cinema.
Targeted exercises ensure you
- Establish an understanding of shot choices, visual storytelling and effectively interpreting a script
- Enhance your communication skills, allowing you to draw the best from your professional actors and encourage your crew
- Direct a short film, working with a full crew and professional actors in an industry-standard environment
- Learn professional techniques to improve your performance as a director in preparation, on set and in the post-production of your film
- Improve your collaborative skills, allowing you to communicate more effectively with cast and crew
- Develop a better understanding of storytelling and how to convey your story visually
This course takes place in person at LFA, 52a Walham Grove, London SW6
- All applicants must be fluent in English: English Language Level: Upper Intermediate
- Minimum age 18
For in depth Visa information please visit our Visa page.