Are you new to filmmaking? This intensive short course is the only one of its kind to provide the opportunity to shoot on either Arriflex Super 16mm film (‘First Man’, 'Bait', ‘The Hurt Locker’, ‘Black Swan’) or the professional standard digital camera, the Arri Alexa/Amira. In four weeks, you will take a film project from script to screen, gaining a comprehensive and invaluable grounding in the essential filmmaking principles and learn the cutting edge skills that equip you for an entry-level job in film or TV.
Work hands-on with current industry professionals offering high tutor to student ratios and over 30 hours of teaching each week. All our tutors are experts in their fields and include award-winning directors and producers. (NB. Preferential Early Bird rates for bookings made in advance, make this the best value 4-week filmmaking course currently available.)
Course delivery update: Based on advice and guidance set out by the UK government, World Health Organisation, British Film Institute, PACT and The Production Guild, we have now resumed our face-to-face courses and have outlined new safety and hygiene measures below that we will follow in each practical lesson.
During this face-to-face course we will be taking the following safety measures:
- Our fully trained staff will help students follow preventative measures and advise on the health and wellbeing of all participants.
- Rigorous and regular cleaning measures to ensure equipment, spaces and touch points are sanitised to prevent hand–to–hand transmission.
- Reduced class sizes and capacity for spaces to facilitate safe, social distancing measures and movement through the building.
- Staggered class start times to avoid interaction with other groups during break periods and at the end of class.
- Dedicated lunch spaces.
- Additional anti-transmission measures including protective screens and PPE for relevant in-person activities and workshops.
- Enhanced hygiene measures including increased provision of sanitisers, alcohol cleaners, tissues and regular breaks for washing hands.
- Strict entry and exit procedures to identify and prevent infection risks from outside sources.
- A separate dedicated room for any person who feels unwell and a clear procedure for helping them.
Read our Google Reviews
“The Certificate course is absolutely brilliant! Experienced and knowledgeable teachers, very nice technical background and amazing support from the team. I got a month of real hands on experience and felt that everything I learnt will be useful in the industry...” Kornélia Kiss
4 weeks, 20 consecutive weekdays
Hours: 10:00 – 17:00 (plus additional hours incl. evenings and weekends)
Get a practical, inspirational and gratifying introduction to filmmaking and make with your own film in just four weeks!
Ideal for people new to filmmaking, this intensive short course offers students a broad and invaluable grounding in the basic filmmaking principles. Over four weeks you will learn a range of industry relevant skills from working film and TV professionals and get the opportunity to take a project from concept to script to screen.
Working in small groups, you will produce a number of non-sync visual narrative short films, shooting exclusively on professional Super 16mm camera equipment (Arriflex) or Digital: Arri Alexa/Amira. Collaborating with fellow students, actors and tutors builds confidence while concurrently offering networking opportunities and access to industry training on productions within LFA.
Our knowledgeable tutors are here to help, advise, support and encourage you throughout your time a London Film Academy, equipping students with the skills required to gain successful entry-level jobs in the film and TV industry.
Filmmaking Certificate students are introduced to essential filmmaking disciplines including:
- Casting and Auditioning
- Editing (Adobe Premiere)
Practical exercises will demonstrate:
- Key lighting techniques
- Directing professional actors
- Handling Arriflex Super 16mm film equipment or Arri Alexa/Amira digital equipment
- Understanding production organisation
Your finished films are showcased in the LFA cinema and you will receive a certificate of completion and a YouTube showreel link after you have graduated.
- Experience of a variety of on-set roles on student films under tutor supervision
- Understand the entire filmmaking process by working collaboratively to make a film using Super 16mm film or digital equipment.
Want to devote more time to filmmaking? Students who successfully complete our Filmmaking Certificate receive fast-track entry onto our intensive Filmmaking Diploma and will save up to £2,200 on course fees.
- All applicants must be fluent in English: English Language Level: Upper Intermediate
- Minimum age 18
For in depth Visa information please visit our Visa page.
To apply online please click on the course date below.
07 September 2020 - 02 October 2020
Course Fee: £ 2,200
FORMAT: 16mm Film
12 October 2020 - 06 November 2020
Course Fee: £ 2,200 ( Early Bird Discount: £1,950 instead of £2,200 if booked by 31 Aug 2020 )
16 November 2020 - 11 December 2020
Course Fee: £ 2,200 ( Early Bird Discount: £1,950 instead of £2,200 if booked by 05 Oct 2020 )