Young Filmmakers' Academy
For 13-17 year olds
Course length: 1 or 2 weeks, Monday-Friday
Timings: 10:00 to 17:00 with an hour for lunch
Class size: maximum 12 students
Course Fees: 1-week £595 / 2 weeks £995
Are you aged 13-17, curious about filmmaking, and looking to build the skills you need to shoot your own movies in your spare time?
Our Young Filmmakers’ Academy (YFA) is designed to give you the perfect introduction to practical filmmaking, over 1 or 2 weeks. What better way to spend your Easter or Summer holidays?
Find your creative voice, experience the multiple roles involved in a film production, and walk away with a film credit on a short film!
The first time I ever actually managed to get behind a camera, and learn how a camera works, was at the Young Filmmakers’ Academy. I’m eternally grateful to LFA, for being the first step in my actual journey to becoming a filmmaker. I’m now currently in New York City, working at a film production studio. London Film Academy was my first step on this unbelievable rollercoaster, and I’m so excited to see where it takes me.
Dexter Simpson, YFA Summer Graduate 2016
You will work closely with your peers, in a small group, learning the essentials of filmmaking through fun and interactive workshops. You’ll be taught by inspiring tutors who are all actively working in today’s film and television industries and get to work with professional actors on your film shoot.
You will have the opportunity to gain experience as one of the following, key crew members on a film set*:
- Director 1st Assistant
- Director 2nd Assistant
- Director Script Supervisor
- Cinematographer / Director of Photography
- Camera Operator x 2 Gaffer / Lighting Designer
- Clapper Loader
- Sound Recordist
- Boom Operator
- Behind the Scenes Videographer *
Please note this is dependent on the number of students attending each course. Roles will be doubled up if under 12 students attend the course. Roles will be allocated by preference where possible.
1-week course: You will discover the full potential of smart phone filmmaking, shooting on LFA’s iPhone camera kit, and leaving the course with all the knowledge you’ll need to make your own films on your smart phone!
2-week course: You will learn and shoot on LFA’s industry-standard, digital camera kits, learning about digital formats, camera sensor sizes, lens choices, lighting, and professional sound recording in a studio setting.
After the shoots, you will work in our high-tech editing suites to cut your film on Adobe Premiere Pro, the industry standard editing software.
On the final day of the course, you will see your short film screened in our in-house cinema and bring your friends and family along to enjoy your work! There’s nothing like seeing your film project up on the big screen. You’ll then be sent a downloadable link of your finished film, which you can keep forever and use for your own portfolio and filmmaking showreel.
Gain the experience of working on a film project from script development to screening stage, and learn how to collaborate and communicate with likeminded, creative young people in a professional supportive environment.
Apply for our next YFA course, today!
This course takes place in person at LFA, 52a Walham Grove, London SW6
1 Week Course (Easter and Summer holidays)
- Day 1: Lighting & Sound Workshops
- Day 2: Directing and iPhone Filmmaking
- Day 3: Shoot Day (2 films shot in 1 day)
- Day 4: Editing and Postproduction
- Day 5: Screenwriting Workshop and Graduation
2 Week Course (Summer holidays)
- Day 1: Introduction to Screenwriting
- Day 2: Directing, and Directing Actors Workshops
- Day 3: Introduction to Cinematography Workshop
- Day 4: Sound Workshop
- Day 5: Cinematography Workshop
- Day 6: Shoot Day 1 (4 films shot over 2 days)
- Day 7: Shoot Day 2 (4 films shot over 2 days)
- Day 8: Editing and Postproduction
- Day 9: Editing and Postproduction
- Day 10: Producing and Graduation
- Students must be aged 13-17 years old at the start of the course. If you are older than 17, please take a look at our other filmmaking courses.
- All applicants must be fluent in English, preferably at an upper-intermediate level.
- If you are travelling to the UK from outside of the EU to study on the Young Filmmakers’ Academy, you will need to obtain a Standard Tourist Visa. For more information on visa requirements, click here.
To apply online please click on the course date below.