Coronavirus (Covid-19): Information for students and applicants
This page was updated 7 January 2021.
At London Film Academy, students are at the heart of everything we do and our priority is first and foremost the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and tutors.
On 4 January 2021, the Government announced a National Lockdown in response to rising numbers of cases of COVID-19.
LFA teaches practical filmmaking courses and according to the current government lockdown regulations students “should remain where they are wherever possible, and start their term online, as facilitated by their university or college until at least mid-February.”
LFA staff will keep students updated about timetable changes and when practical in-person activities are expected to resume.
As a result, the spring term start dates remain the same, but will commence with online delivery.
As a higher education institution, LFA is regulated by the Office for Students and is considered in the same category as universities, colleges and schools. LFA will offer Lateral Flow Detection tests (LFD) for COVID-19 for students and staff returning in for the spring term. Returning students should be tested twice upon their return to LFA, or they should self-isolate for ten days instead.
In August 2020, we resumed face-to-face classes and shoots on our BA and Diploma courses and a selection of short courses in a safe learning environment.
Students who are currently enrolled on existing courses or future courses taking place during this period should have received information about how we are continuing to deliver courses in a safe and effective way - should you need any further information please contact your Course Teams or our Admissions Team.
To ensure the health and safety of all our students we are following advice and guidance set out by the UK government, Health and Safety Executive, World Health Organisation, British Film Institute, PACT and The Production Guild.
The preparations and measures undertaken by staff at the school were excellent, and really helped ensure that the experience was one that felt safe.
Sam, Young Filmmakers' Academy Student
During the delivery of our face-to-face courses we are taking the following safety measures:
- Our fully trained staff are helping students follow preventative measures and advise on the health and wellbeing of all participants.
- Rigorous and regular cleaning measures to ensure equipment, spaces and touch points are sanitised to prevent hand–to–hand transmission.
- Reduced class sizes and capacity for spaces to facilitate safe, social distancing measures and movement through the building.
- Staggered class start times to avoid interaction with other groups during break periods and at the end of class.
- Dedicated lunch spaces.
- Additional anti-transmission measures including protective screens and PPE for relevant in-person activities and workshops. We also require face coverings to be worn by all people when moving around the building. Clear face shields are an alternative for those who are exempt.
- Enhanced hygiene measures including increased provision of sanitisers, alcohol cleaners, tissues and regular breaks for washing hands.
- Strict entry and exit procedures to identify and prevent infection risks from outside sources.
- A separate dedicated room for any person who feels unwell and a clear procedure for helping them.
I have been very impressed by and grateful for the ongoing support from LFA, it has really made a huge difference.
Claire, BA (Hons) Filmmaking Student
We are following advice from the UK government concerning the implications of COVID-19 and our Admissions team will be in regular contact with you if any of the course delivery specifications change.
Thank you so much for continuing to support us throughout these unprecedented times and really be there to guide us. Distance has never felt so close!
Bianca, BA (Hons) Filmmaking Student
We are very much open for business and you are welcome to get in touch with our team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us on 020 7386 7711 between 9am-6pm (GMT).
Stay safe and well, from all of us here at London Film Academy.
Anna & Daisy, LFA Co-Founders
To keep informed on the latest updates, please follow the following advice topics:
- UK Government’s guidance on National lockdown: Stay at Home
- UK Government’s guidance on National lockdown for Higher Education/Universities
- UK Government's advice for students returning to higher education for spring term.
- UK Government's up-to-date guidance on educational settings
- UK Government's advice on traveling to the UK
- UK Government's countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel
- UK Government's up-to-date information for the public on Coronavirus
- UK Government's Coronavirus Recovery Strategy
- World Health Organization's Coronavirus information pages
- World Health Organization's advice for public
The Department for Education has a helpline to answer education questions about COVID-19. The helpline is for higher education staff, students and parents and can be contacted on 0800 046 8687 or DfE.email@example.com. The Department for Education’s opening hours are 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday) or 10am to 4pm (Saturday to Sunday).
The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office are advising anyone who has travelled into the UK from abroad to follow the latest travel advice here.