Coronavirus (Covid-19): Information for students and applicants
This page was updated 15 September 2020.
At London Film Academy, students are at the heart of everything we do and our priority is first and foremost the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and tutors.
We have now resumed face-to-face classes and shoots on our BA and Diploma courses and a selection of short courses in a safe learning environment.
To ensure the health and safety of all our students we are following advice and guidance set out by the UK government, Health and Safety Executive, World Health Organisation, British Film Institute, PACT and The Production Guild.
The preparations and measures undertaken by staff at the school were excellent, and really helped ensure that the experience was one that felt safe.
Sam, Young Filmmakers' Academy Student
During the delivery of our face-to-face courses we are taking the following safety measures:
- Our fully trained staff are helping students follow preventative measures and advise on the health and wellbeing of all participants.
- Rigorous and regular cleaning measures to ensure equipment, spaces and touch points are sanitised to prevent hand–to–hand transmission.
- Reduced class sizes and capacity for spaces to facilitate safe, social distancing measures and movement through the building.
- Staggered class start times to avoid interaction with other groups during break periods and at the end of class.
- Dedicated lunch spaces.
- Additional anti-transmission measures including protective screens and PPE for relevant in-person activities and workshops. We also require face coverings to be worn by all people when moving around the building. Clear face shields are an alternative for those who are exempt.
- Enhanced hygiene measures including increased provision of sanitisers, alcohol cleaners, tissues and regular breaks for washing hands.
- Strict entry and exit procedures to identify and prevent infection risks from outside sources.
- A separate dedicated room for any person who feels unwell and a clear procedure for helping them.
Let’s take a look back at how we delivered education whilst the world was on lockdown.
Our commitment to delivering the best possible standard of higher education continued during the worldwide lockdown. Our undergraduate and postgraduate students continued their full-time education via virtual online classes and 1-2-1 sessions with the same level of contact time and intensity that they are used to.
We also hosted an incredible range of masterclasses that gave our students exclusive access to eminent filmmakers, who were ready to answer their questions and inspire them whilst they remained at home. Those featured directors, cinematographers and producers who have worked on films as diverse as ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, ‘Mr. Turner’, ‘The Two Popes’, ‘Captain Marvel’ and ‘American Animals’ took part and our students gained priceless industry insight and career advice.
I have been very impressed by and grateful for the ongoing support from LFA, it has really made a huge difference.
Claire, BA (Hons) Filmmaking Student
I’d just like to extend my thanks for the recent masterclasses. I found many of them to be inspiring and it provided me with some perspective of the industry and my possible prospects in it. I’d also like to thank you for the consideration on your behalf. Lockdown has been extremely boring and the masterclasses have brought some relief to that boredom.
Massimo, BA (Hons) Filmmaking Student
The health and wellbeing of our students has always been a priority and this was no different during lockdown. We arranged for online counselling provision and regular check-ins with students and continue to develop career plans to keep their post-LFA aspirations on track.
Thank you so much for continuing to support us throughout these unprecedented times and really be there to guide us. Distance has never felt so close!
Bianca, BA (Hons) Filmmaking Student
We are following advice from the UK government concerning the implications of COVID-19 and our Admissions team will be in regular contact with you if any of the course delivery specifications change.
We are very much open for business and you are welcome to get in touch with our team by email email@example.com or by calling us on 020 7386 7711 between 9am-6pm (GMT).
Stay safe and well, from all of us here at London Film Academy.
Anna & Daisy, LFA Co-Founders
To keep informed on the latest updates, please follow the following advice topics:
- UK Government's countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel
- UK Government's up-to-date guidance on educational settings
- UK Government's up-to-date information for the public on Coronavirus
- UK Government's guidance on staying alert and safe (social distancing)
- UK Government's Coronavirus Recovery Strategy
- World Health Organization - information pages
- World Health Organization's advice for public
The Department for Education has a helpline to answer education questions about COVID-19. The helpline is for higher education staff, students and parents and can be contacted on 0800 046 8687 or DfE.firstname.lastname@example.org. The Department for Education’s opening hours are 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday) or 10am to 4pm (Saturday to Sunday).
The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office are advising anyone who has travelled into the UK from abroad to follow the latest travel advice here.